Civil Rights Organizations (Non-Government)
A number of non-governmental organizations work to support the civil rights of individuals in a wide range of areas. Whether you’ve been the victim of racial profiling, discriminatory hiring practices, or any other form of discrimination, there are organizations available to educate you about your rights and help you pursue legal recourse. Explore the links below to learn more about the work of each civil rights organization.
- American Association of Retired Persons - The AARP is a non-profit advocacy group working to support the rights of individuals age 50 and older.
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) - A non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the individual rights and liberties provided under the Constitution.
- Asian Law Caucus - The nation’s first legal and civil rights organization serving the low-income Asian Pacific American communities
- Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund - A national organization that protects and promotes the civil rights of Asian
- Center for Fair Voting and Democracy - A non-profit group that advocates for electoral reform and voting rights.
- Civil Rights Project - UCLA (was Harvard University) - A group dedicated to researching issues of civil rights and equal opportunity for racial and ethnic groups in the U.S.
- CivilRights.org - A non-profit organization working to promote and protect the civil and human rights of all individuals in the U.S.
- Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund - The oldest and largest national legal organization working to achieve equal rights for lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transgender people.
- League of Women Voters of the U.S. - A group dedicated to improving government and engagging all citizens in the decision-making process.
- Mexican-American Legal Defense and Educational Fund - One of the nation’s leading Latino legal civil rights organizations.
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) - A group dedicated to eliminating race-based discrimination and ensuring equality in all areas of American life.
- National Organization for Women - A non-profit organization dedicated to achieving women's equality.
- Southern Poverty Law Center - A nonprofit civil rights organization dedicated to fighting hate and seeking justice for vulnerable members of society.