Federal Organizations on Housing
A number of federal organizations provide information and services related to housing issues. In this section, you’ll find links to a wide range of federal housing organizations, including the National Low Income Housing Coalition and the Federal Housing Finance Board. Explore the links to find information on your rights under housing laws, the types of prohibited discrimination, and your legal options.
- The Cohousing Association of the United States - Cohousing is a type of housing in which residents participate in the design and operation of their neighborhoods.
- Council for Large Public Housing Authorities (CLAPHA) - The CLPHA is a non-profit that works to preserve and improve public and affordable housing.
- Enterprise Community Partners - A group working to create affordable housing for low and moderate income individuals.
- Fannie Mae - The leading source of residential mortgage credit in the U.S. secondary market.
- Federal Housing Finance Board - The FHFA provides regulation and supervision over Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, and the Federal Home Loan Banks.
- Freddie Mac - Congress chartered Freddie Mac to stabilize the mortgage markets and expand opportunities for homeownership.
- Housing Assistance Council (HAC) - Offers services to the public and nonprofits to help improve housing conditions for the rural poor.
- National Council of State Housing Agencies - A nonprofit organization created to coordinate federal advocacy efforts for affordable housing.
- National Housing Institute - An independent nonprofit organizations dedicated to fostering affordable housing and diverse communities.
- National Low Income Housing Coalition - An organization working to create socially just public policy regarding affordable housing.
- National Resource Center on Supportive Housing and Home Modification - A non-profit group promoting independent living for aging individuals.
- United States Census Bureau Housing Topics - The U.S. Census Bureau’s site on housing topics, including statistics related to housing.
- United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (USHUD) - The federal agency responsible for handling issues related to housing and urban development.