Civil Rights Quiz
1. On August 28, 1963, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered his "I Have a Dream" speech from the steps of what Washington, D.C. location?
a) The White House
b) The Lincoln Memorial
c) The U.S. Capitol
d) The U.S. Supreme Court building
2. In 1893, which U.S. state became the first to grant women the right to vote?
d) Rhode Island
3. Which amendment to the U.S. Constitution guarantees due process and equal protection rights to all citizens?
a) The 14th Amendment
b) The 15th Amendment
c) The 16th Amendment
d) The 17th Amendment
4. True or False: During World War II more than 100,000 individuals of Japanese ancestry living on the West Coast were forced by the U.S. government to leave their homes and were moved to "interment" or "relocation" camps.
a) Guaranteed the right to vote to all U.S. citizens
b) Prohibited racial segregation in public schools
c) Defined sexual harassment as a form of unlawful gender discrimination
d) Recognized flag burning as protected under the First Amendment
6. Rosa Parks's arrest after her refusal to move to the back of a bus triggered a citywide boycott of what city's bus system?
a) Atlanta, Georgia
b) Charleston, South Carolina
c) Memphis, Tennessee
d) Montgomery, Alabama
7. The Americans with Disabilities Act, which protects persons with disabilities from discrimination in many aspects of life -- including employment, education, and access to buildings and businesses -- was signed into law in:
8. True or False: The Equal Rights Amendment, passed by Congress in 1971 and explicitly guaranteeing equality to all persons, regardless of gender, was later signed into law.
9. The Family and Medical Leave Act, passed in 1993, gives most employees the right to take time off in order to care for:
a) A newborn child
b) A recently adopted child
c) An ill family member
d) All of the above
10. In 2000, which U.S. state became the first to offer "civil unions" to same-sex couples, a legally-recognized relationship status that provides many of the same rights as marriage?
b) New York